Your rights in supported housing

Tecknad figur som försöker rikta fläkt mot ballong så att den inte spräcks av kaktusarnas taggar

Everyone is equal. You and all other children and young people have the right to grow up in a safe environment.

You have the right to ask for and receive information about matters related to you. You have the right to express your opinion in matters that concern you. You also have the right to get the help and support you need.


You have the right to:

  • Know why you are living in supported housing.

  • Be present when decisions are being made about things that concern you, for example how long you can expect to be living in supported housing and where you will move later.

  • Know who your social worker is and how you can contact them.

  • Your social worker is responsible for keeping in contact with you, visiting you and keeping track of how things are working out.

  • Talk one-on-one with your social worker.

  • Say what you think and be listened to.

  • Not be punished.

  • Find out what has been written about you. You have the right to ask questions if there is something you don’t understand or want to know more about.

  • If you think something is wrong, you have the right to have your opinion recorded in your file.

  • Apply to social services for things you feel you need.

  • Appeal decisions social services have made about you.

  • Say “yes” or “no” to social services’ suggestions. For social services to be able to reach a decision about placing you in supported housing, a residential care home or a foster home, they need your go-ahead. However things are different if a decision has been made for you to receive care following the Care of Young Persons Act (LVU).


School or other activities

You have the right to:

  • The support you need with school work.
  • Help finding education or other activities.


You have the right to:

  • Live in a safe and secure environment.

  • Know the rules and procedures that apply where you live.

  • Be respected as the person you are.

  • Talk to staff when you need to.

  • Keep your personal things 

Hus med paraply


You have the right to:

  • Receive the healthcare and dental care you need. (If you are aged 18 years or more and do not have a Swedish residence permit, special regulations apply).


Contact with parents and friends

You have the right to:

  • Contact your parents, siblings, guardian or other people important to you. If there are other arrangements, your social worker can tell you more about the process.
  • If you have been placed in LVU care, social services can decide the type of contact you have with your parents, for example. You can appeal such a decision in the courts.

Who do I talk to if something feels wrong or isn't working well?

  • In the first case, talk to the staff at the supported housing or another adult you trust.

  • You should talk to your social worker if you have opinions on how things are going and what is being planned, or if you are unhappy with how you have been allowed to spend time with your parents or others.

  • If you can't get in touch with your social worker or think that they aren't interested in what you have to say, you can contact the social worker’s manager.

Contact IVO

  • Contact IVO if you have questions about your rights or want to talk about what isn’t working well with social services or healthcare.
  • IVO has a special telephone number, email address and online chat for children and young people, the IVO Children and Young Person’s Hotline (IVO:s Barn- och ungdomslinje).

  • You have the right to remain anonymous when you contact IVO. If, however, you want IVO to investigate or examine the matter further, we often need more information – Like the name of the supported housing.

IVO supervises social services, which means that:

  • IVO makes sure that social services provide children and young people with good quality care and housing.

  • IVO makes sure that social services are taking care of your case following the laws and provisions in place.

  • You have the right to talk to IVO without asking anyone for permission.

  • IVO has a special responsibility to carry out inspections of supported housing every year.

lagbok IVO