Applying for financial compensation

IVO does not handle claims for financial compensation. If you want to claim financial compensation, you can do so as follows:

  • If you suffer an avoidable injury while receiving care, you may be entitled to compensation under the Patient Injury Act (patientskadelagen). All Swedish county councils and regions have taken out patient insurance with Löf (regional mutual insurance companies). Claims should be made to this company.
  • If the claim relates to care that is not covered by the county council's/region’s patient insurance, ask with which insurance company your private hospital, private dental practice, nursing home or beauty clinic that has performed cosmetic surgical procedures and cosmetic injections is insured, and contact that insurance company directly.
  • If it involves dental treatment by a private dentist, you can also contact the Private Dental Care Information Service (Privattandvårdsupplysningen). Find out more on the Private Dental Care Information Service’s website.
  • If the person who cared for or treated you does not have patient insurance, contact the Patient Insurance Association (Patientförsäkringsföreningen). Find out more on the Patient Insurance Association’s website.
  • If you have been injured by a medicinal product, contact the Swedish Pharmaceutical Insurance (Läkemedelsförsäkringen). You can find out more on the Swedish Pharmaceutical Insurance website.